Monday, August 3, 2009

Blight fright!

Yes, it is really happening. I've been worried for a while, ever since I heard Mike McGrath talk about late blight on his radio show You Bet Your Garden

And now my worst fears have come true. I was sick about it for a while but have now accepted it. Everyone's tomatos in the garden are affected. The experts say it's best to pull the plants out and bag them -- throw them out with the trash. But as I still have unaffected fruit on my plants I have not done so yet.

Here's what it looks like. Our plants also took a beating from the torrential downpours this past weekend. Our stakes failed and the tomato plants were smothering my lettuce. I cleaned it up s'best I could.




This is what happens to the fruit, it turns black.

2 comments:

  1. noooo!!!!

    how very very disappointing. do you think any will be able to be saved? poor tomatoes! poor you! x.s

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH ME OH MY!!!
    I actually have never heard of blight but it sounds like and awful plant plague that kills by the millions haha. headline: BLIGHT HAS SPREAD TO THE HARRITON FARM, ALL ARE SUFFERING IF NOT DEAD!
    I grant you luck with the blight breakout with all of your veggies! maybe you can look up some way to protect them online?

    ReplyDelete